GPI/Swiss Embassy Funded Integrated Action Project to Reduce Human Trafficking and Re-trafficking in Edo State
- Human Trafficking is one of the organised crimes thorough which many are exploited. The GPI Benin Office through the support of the Embassy of Switzerland in Nigeria in the Integrated Action Project are intervening to prevent and support victims.
The Overall Objective of the project is to reduce rates of trafficking amongst target groups of young persons, women and girls in Idokpa and Oluku Communities of Edo State.
The Specific objectives of the project are:
- Increased prevention of trafficking by addressing the drivers of trafficking in communities including stemming deceitful strategies used by traffickers;
- Increased protection of survivors of trafficking through a survivor-centred approach that meets the critical needs of returnee survivors of trafficking and breaks the vicious cycle of re-victimization of trafficking survivors.
Awareness raising in communities
- Promoting education, gender equity and parental care in communities
- School based activities for entrepreneurship skills development
- Income generation for at risk individuals through Village Savings and Loan Associations
- Microcredit and job linkages for at-risk individuals and families
- Counseling and case management services
- March, 2022 – November, 2022
- 2728 Direct Reach by May 2022
Activities carried out in since inception
- Advocacy Visits to project communities
- Employment of community-based Field Assistants
- Project Commencement Meeting and setting up of Project Steering Committee
- Review, updating and production of GPI messages and fliers to be used for activities.
- Entry survey in project communities
- Contacts and implementation of Community based town hall meeting and/or film screening in project communities.
- Implementation of market/park awareness campaign in project communities
- Contacts and implementation of school based awareness campaign at ChrisIdia Education Centre in Oluku and Paulson Foundation School in Idokpa
- Contacts and implementation of parental awareness-raising on promoting education/gender equity and positive parenting in project communities.
- Entry survey analysis report under review